Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sister's Noise - May International Challenge Team Analysis





Hello everyone! My name is Angel or CT MikotoMisaka and this is going to be a report on the team I used for the International Challenge May. I haven't played much in terms of VGC this season, but I've seen some mild success when I have, such as winning a small grassroots tournament in NYC, getting top 8 in the Nuggetbridge Major and finally getting top 4 in the US/top 32 in the world in the International Challenge. I've used a bunch of teams this season and the team I used for the International stands out to me(and others) most because of some of the quirky pokemon/sets I used, but I'll stop boring you with an intro and get right into the team.


The nickname theme will characters from my favorite anime series Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. I bet you didn't expect that huh? Also I wont be listing my spreads in case any of my friends decide to use parts of this team at Nationals.

Final Rating: 1832
Wins: 35
Losses: 10

null




Pachirisu @ Sitrus Berry ** ❤ Last Order
Ability: Volt Absorb
- Nuzzle
- Follow Me
- Ion Deluge
- Super Fang

Ok here's the star of the team. The night of the international I was going to use a completely different team, but during a certain skype call this little squirrel got brought up in the discussion jokingly. Now I used Pachirisu on some less than serious teams in the 2013 metagame because I liked the idea of follow me + volt absorb in a metagame filled with Thundurus. Thinking back to that concept I realized Pachirisu is the only follow me user that doesn't get nuked by Talonflame and unlike Amoonguss using Rage Powder grass type pokemon can't bypass Follow Me.

Pachirisu has a lot going for it outside of follow me, such as having access to the attacks nuzzle and super fang. Pachirisu is by far the best user for nuzzle in my opinion. Out of all the pokemon who learn nuzzle Pachirisu has the most bulk and survivability. Nuzzle and Super fang also allow pachirisu to do something while taunted which is a big plus on a pokemon that is used to primarily redirect attacks. Ion Deluge was a last minute gimmicky idea I thought would be cool. If a kangaskhan wants to return something you can turn it into electric so Roserade and Hydreigon resist it or if they targetted Pachirisu you get some HP back. It also has a cute trick with Hydreigon that I will get into later.

Pachirisu is also surprisingly bulky. It has the ability to survive Mega-Kangaskhan returns, Garchomp earthquakes and even specs Draco Meteors.

This is definitely a great hidden gem of the format and I'm glad I got to try it out again.

Last Order is the 20001st clone of Mikoto Misaka and the final clone produced for the Radio Noise Project. She functions as the command center of the Misaka clones and the administrator of the Misaka Network, making her their superior.










Roserade @ Choice Scarf ** ❤ Uiharu
Ability: Technician
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball

The Second unorthodox pokemon on this team. Technician allows Roserade to OHKO Garchomp with Hidden Power. Shadow Ball was pretty much a filler move but it actually proved to be very useful. Allowing me to hit steels like lucario and specially aegislash. Also worth noting Helping Hand Leaf Storm OHKOs 4hp Mega-Kangaskhan. Choice Scarf allowed it to outspeed garchomp and even +1 Gyarados.

After playing so many games with this I feel like Roserade suffers from the same issue most scarf pokemon have. Its basically a fast frail pokemon whos attacks are limited and can't use protect. Not being able to use protect was a big issue for me. Luckily Pachirisu was able to help that issue somewhat. I think scarf pokemon like Staraptor and Salamence are much better pokemon for abusing choice scarf since they have solid bulk going for them along with a defensive ability like intimidate. This is probably why I hate Scarf Gardevoir so much.

While Roserade was a cute pokemon to use I don't think I can see myself using it again.


Uiharu is one of Mikoto Misaka's close friends and most notably always has flowers in her hair.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/58ecf4bc7366d664d59ba64d72d5ed90/tumblr_n22yguu03g1sbsbfdo2_500.gif








Hydreigon @ Choice Specs ** Meltdowner
Ability:
Levitate
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- HYPER BEAM

Standard Specs Hydreigon for the most part. We all know what specs Hydreigon does so I'll just get into why I'm using HYPER BEAM.

The 4th moveslot on choice'd Hydreigon is usually filler so I decided to look into moves not named Dragon Pulse to see if theres anything else notable. I looked at Flash Cannon for Fairies but that doesnt do much to Azumarill(its still a 3hko). After using Ray's Wigglytuff in the Nuggetbridge Major I decided to look into Hyper Beam and I was surprised to see what I found.

Hyper Beam does a minimal of 79% to Azumarill which means you can KO it after it Belly Drums and gets HP back with Sitrus. With Helping Hand Choice Specs Hyper Beam OHKOs Azumarill 100% of the time. Also since Hyper Beam is a Normal type move you can change it to Electric type with Pachirisu's Ion Deluge, which also gets the KO on said Azumarill. I was able to KO multiple Azumarill/Gardevoir/Sylveon during the tournament and I can easily say Hyper Beam should definitely be included on your specs sets.

Meltdowner is the name of the ability of Rank 4 Level 5 Esper Mugino Shizuri.











Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite **Misuzu
Ability: Scrappy ----> Parental Bond
- Return
- Power Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Ok rant time. Kangaskhan is by far the best Pokemon in the format. We all know this by now. It is a way overpowered pokemon but that's something we have to deal with. I think too many people whine and bitch about this instead of trying to just deal with it. I get it, its broken. Get over it. Its here to stay. I've had a bunch of people discredit my success and even discredit Pachirisu as a pokemon because I used Kangaskhan. You can all jump off a bridge. Its because of people like you that the metagame gets stale. Instead of ignoring something because it seems silly or is paired with Kangaskhan is cancerous to this game. Try things out first you idiots.

Rant aside this set is fairly standard except I have Protect over fake out. When I building this team I wanted to play a role of protecting Kangaskhan. I wanted it to live longer and dish out more punishment. Fake out is a more aggressive move that didn't fit into the general style of the team. If I wanted Kangaskhan to live longer I needed protect. Most players also assume Kangaskhan is protectless so its an easy double target. Protecting on turns like that can win you the game instantly.


Misuzu is the Mother of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun's Protagonist Mikoto Misaka.






Azumarill @ Lum Berry ** Hamazura
Ability: Huge Power
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Protect
- Helping Hand


Azumarill is one of my favorite fairies in the format. It's typing is really great and walls a ton of common pokemon. I really wanted to abuse Helping Hand with this team and Azumarill seemed like one of the best users for it. Since Sitrus Berry was taken I needed to find a filler item for Azumarill. Lum seemed like the best general item for what azumarill wanted to do, specially since it attracts Will-o-Wisp.


The Nickname was actually completely random. I had Nickscor breed this for me and needed a nickname. I didn't want to make him wait so I named it after the first male Index/Railgun character I could think of.

Hamazura is a Level 0 without any noticeable powers, he is a science side protagonist who mainly struggles in the story to protect what's important to him against the Dark Side of Academy City.








Aegislash @ Leftovers **Salvare000
Ability: Stance Change
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield
- Substitute

The standard Substitute/leftovers aegislash. This is one of my favorite pokemon in the format. If your opponent doesn't have multiple solid counters to aegislash it can win you the game instantly. I think substitute/leftovers is infinitely better than weakness policy. This set gives you a win condition on its own if unchecked properly whereas the weakness policy set can be chipped away easily. This is the most common set for a good reason.  I'm using Flash Cannon over Sacred Sword because its more consistent and helps ease predictions.


Salvare000 is the Magic name of Kanzaki Kaori. She is also a Saint and is currently one of the most formidable magicians in the series.







I'm proud that I was able to do so well with a team I threw together last minute, but overall the team could use some work. Roserade probably wont be on anymore of my teams and I'm probably going to toy around with Pachirisu some more.

Now I hope you all don't misunderstand me. I didn't use Pachirisu and Roserade because I wanted to be different or felt the need to be cute. I made this team thinking it could give me the best shot at winning. When I build teams  I don't build them to be gimmicky I build them so they can function properly and perform well at the highest levels. Pachirisu and Roserade served specific roles on this team. I have a play to win mentality so I use whatever I think is best, and in this case I thought these pokemon were the best for what I wanted. So my advice to players out there: Don't use things to try and be different. Use whatever you think is best, but remember that thinking outside the box can lead you to even better options for what you want/need. I absolutely hate the type of players who use certain pokemon just for the sake of being "different".


Anyway I hope you enjoyed my analysis! You can follow me on twitter @CTMikotoMisaka or find me on Nuggetbridge under the username "CT MikotoMisaka". I'm also on Pokemon Showdown as "MikotoMisaka"!

3 comments:

  1. I, for one, welcome our new adorable zappy overlord.

    Very good read, I've been interested in Ion Deluge for awhile, and you've illustrated good applications of the move pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought Pachirisu+Azumarril is a nice way to utilize Belly Drum, just to see you were using Belly Drum instead. While I think Azumarril´s Typing is great and offers quite some strong switch-ins, the only reason I am standing away from Bellyjet was the fear of Grass Types and Talonflame, and Pachirisu seems to help a lot with that. Now I see you were using Helping Hand. I´d like to know if you tested both and how well Helping Hand worked for you in the International Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. helping hand was really nice. Its one of my favorite azumarill sets. bellyjet works wonders too, probably even better actually.

      I used helping hand for the international so I could help test the concept of this team. I enjoyed both and think both are amazing in different ways.

      Delete