Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Worlds 2016 Day 1/2 team

Hello everyone. This blog has actually been dead for a year and I hope to change that a lot going into SUMO. Regardless world's was last weekend and it was an amazing experience for me. I ended up making day 2 going 6-2 day 1 and unfortunately starting 3-0 day 2 to a 3-3 drop. I only blame myself for poor play after my game vs Markus but I feel I definitely could have made cut and went even further if I buckled up. Anyway here is the team!

DISCLAIMER: I wrote this in 30 minutes lol

DAY 1

SoulSur (Talonflame) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 76 Def / 20 SpD / 52 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Tailwind



Biosci (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 108 HP / 60 Atk / 12 Def / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Eruption
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Protect


Lunar (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 140 HP / 92 Def / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect
- Geomancy


Angel (Clefairy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Heal Pulse


Zelda (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Crunch
- Double-Edge
- Power-Up Punch


Jio (Cresselia) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Skill Swap
- Icy Wind

DAY 2


SoulSur (Talonflame) @ Chesto Berry  
Ability: Gale Wings  
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 76 Def / 20 SpD / 52 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Brave Bird  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Taunt  
- Tailwind  


Biosci (Groudon) @ Red Orb  
Ability: Drought  
EVs: 108 HP / 60 Atk / 12 Def / 76 SpA / 252 Spe  
Mild Nature  
- Eruption  
- Precipice Blades  
- Fire Punch  
- Protect  

Lunar (Xerneas) @ Power Herb  
Ability: Fairy Aura  
EVs: 140 HP / 92 Def / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 164 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Moonblast  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Protect  
- Geomancy  

Randy (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Moody  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Dark Void  
- Fake Out  
- Follow Me  
- Wide Guard  

Zelda (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite  
Ability: Scrappy  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Fake Out  
- Crunch  
- Double-Edge  
- Power-Up Punch  

Jio (Cresselia) @ Lum Berry  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 HP /  52 SpD / 204 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Trick Room  
- Helping Hand  
- Skill Swap  
- Icy Wind  

Team Thoughts

I had known I wanted to use Groudon Xerneas from after Nats especially when I felt I can pilot it much better than a lot of players. However, I hated that I struggled vs Bronzong Double Primal which I knew would be a big meta call. I had used trickroom skill swap cress before but then I got into weird primal speed tier ties and had to deal with gravity hypnosis. This led to the creation of mild Groudon+Lum cress. Cress would come in and reverse trickroom and the next turn they would face a skill swap+eruption. Kang was the mega of choice because we still wanted to have a strong xern mode and a good lead overall but then we face the problem of Gengar which we knew was another reaction to counter popular big 6 teams. In this situation we decided crunch Kanga was another option not only for Gengar but also Bronzong. After a pup both got oneshot and helping hand crunch was something both mons did not want to take. We decided scrappy here largely for gengar and I felt in the kang mirror not megaing leaves you at an automatic disadvantage. Talonflame is similar to the one I used at Nationals 2014 and we had got the idea to use it again as a mon that can help beat Crobat Big 6 and be overall good in the Big6 match up. Clef was one of our last mons and we wanted more protection options that helped kang and Xern sweep vs teams like RayOgre. In day 2 I would switch to the Smeargle I have been running since Nationals since it was another strong protection option that also helps vs some of the rayogre teams that made it to day 2. It also gave me another option that I liked and people would begin leading to beat smeargle allowing me to gain advantageous game 1 leads in many of my match ups. I started off really dominantly only dropping a game until I played Markus and would spiral down to a 3-3 drop. I can't say I'm disappointed since Pokemon is Pokemon and I should have played much better in my next two sets. I know I have the ability to compete at the top and Wolfe has inspired me to continue chasing gold. Expect this blog to not remain completely dead and I will definitely be playing a lot more going into SUMO. Thank you everyone for an amazing worlds ^_^

Shout outs

  • Lunarr, Souldewz, Nickscor and all the imoutos for being an amazing supporting cast
  • Angel for being a great fren who helped me decide on using this team
  • Hibiki and Sam for having the cutest accents and being overall cool people to hang with
  • Jonathan for getting 2nd. You need to stop doubting yourself and being so negative all around but you have definitely improved from when we first started talking
  • Also want to put Eduardo here even though we interacted very little. Im super proud of you dude and it is just crazy I went around and was asking who was on when you played markus and everyone told me it was embc and I was just so happy. I remember you a lot in 2014 and I'm glad you have come this far
  • Everyone I interacted with. You guys are the reason I keep on playing and giving me this motivation to perform amazingly next season.
Well that is it and now I gave myself post-world's depression even sooner than I expected. See you all next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment